Nonstick cooking spray
One 15.25-ounce box red velvet cake mix
One 12-ounce can black cherry hard seltzer, such as White Claw Black Cherry Hard Seltzer
3 large eggs
3/4 cup cherry jam or preserves
One 16-ounce can vanilla frosting
24 maraschino cherries, for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Beat the cake mix, 1 1/3 cups of the hard seltzer and the eggs together in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until smooth and combined, about 2 minutes. Divide evenly among the prepared muffin tins (each cup should be about three-quarters full). Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes, rotating tins halfway through. Turn cupcakes out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, stir the remaining hard seltzer (about 1/4 cup) and the cherry jam together in a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced slightly, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl or glass liquid measuring cup and refrigerate until completely cool and set, about 45 minutes.
- Scoop out a 1/2-inch-wide and 1/2-inch-deep hole from the center of each cupcake top using a small measuring spoon. Fill each hole with the spiked cherry jam (about 1 1/2 teaspoons per cupcake).
- Beat the vanilla frosting in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a large star pastry tip. Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes to cover the jam, leaving the edge exposed. Top each with a maraschino cherry.